Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Olympic Travel Bargains

During the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games, Air Canada posted new outrageous deals whenever a Canadian athlete won gold.  The deal would start at midnight and often be all snapped up by dawn.

I remember one night seeing YWG to YUL for $49 each way. Or YYZ to YUL for $29. That's crazy! Crazy good! But, having just stumbled upon the deal late at night, and not having ever discussed taking a weekend in Montreal with my husband, I didn't jump at it. The next day when he said "you should have just booked it" I felt a little down. Like coming 4th place in the Olympics. I hesitated and lost out.

So after that, each day I'd cheer more for our Canadian athletes and if/when they won, bubble over with excitement waiting for the deal to pop up.  Then when Jon Montgomery won (remember the athlete who grabbed & downed the pitcher of beer in a post-victory celebration!) gold, I got MY deal.  At midnight, flights to NAS (Nassau, Bahamas) went on sale from across Canada. I grabbed tickets for $99 each way and in April, hubby and I went to the Bahamas for a 3 day weekend. It was crazy and spontaneous and the best quick trip bargain EVER! The Bahamas are my happy place. No place on earth I'd rather visit. Even if it was just for 2 nights. (Sounds crazy. But probably one of, if not my absolute favourite trip ever.

So, the point of this little jaunt down memory lane is to say that AIR CANADA IS DOING IT AGAIN!!! It's a little different this time, but still good and worth looking into. Each day they are offering a different Olympic special. July 30-August 12. There is a new special each day. The first one was a deal on flights to London. The second one was 10% off Executive Class.  I hope there will be some really special deals in there like last time. I'll be watching.

Simply go to Aircanada.com to see their deal of the day. Who knows, you might just strike gold! This, my friends, is the Olympics of travel bargain hunting. Typically you have a day or two to decide when a bargain price pops up, this time, if it's truly good, it will be a few hours at most to decide. Time to put your credit card and you desk calendar in their ready positions. On your mark... get set....

No comments:

Post a Comment